What a year it has been! For me 2017 has been a year of stretching and breaking, rebirth and healing. It has been simultaneously excruciating and exhilarating.
I am grateful I began the year with a deep desire and readiness to dive headfirst into inner work. I loosened my grip on life. My plans, my business, my marriage, my ideas of what’s supposed to be. All of it I released unto God/the Universe/Mother Earth. I surrendered the idea that I knew what was best because I clearly didn’t. This time last year, I was suffering the deepest depression in my life and I had no idea how I got there, or what to do next. I had no real explanation other than feeling that something was just broken.
From that space of feeling desperate and broken, alone with my thoughts, I prayed and meditated and I called in help. By January of this year I had coaches and teachers and guides coming into my life in the most unexpected ways. With their support, I faced my biggest fears, I walked the edges of my darkest shadows and braved terrain I never thought I would ever traverse.
My most notable highlights and lowlights: I conquered my fear of public speaking. Four people in my life moved on from this earthly plane in the span of one month (I am including one of my cats as a person here, and yes that month was a doozy). Through rage and fiery anger that moved through my body, I discovered that I was carrying around a belief that I am not worthy, and I did work to destroy that belief. As I began changing as a leader, there was a mass exodus within my company. I have gained some incredible new sisterships that are crushing old paradigm ideas about what a gal pal relationship looks like. I learned how to truly love myself. I learned how to truly release beliefs and ways of being that were no longer serving me. I learned how to truly receive love. I have new relationships with old friends and family that are authentic and look much different than they used to.
Today I am completely transformed. The storms and turmoil presented to me through out this year were Divinely and precisely orchestrated for me. And you better believe I have a lot to share from my travels to the inner depths and outer limits.
Distilling it down to just five is not going to be easy, but the number feels good and bite size.
In no particular order, here are my TOP 5 Gifts of 2017:
- BOUNDARIES SET YOU FREE – As a recovering people-pleaser, this was probably one of the hardest lessons to learn. The idea of saying “no” brought up so many fears. Fears of being thought of as selfish. Fears of being looked upon as a bad daughter, friend, wife, boss, _________. What I realized, though, is that whenever I show up to do something out of obligation rather than choice, I show up in a light that is not my best self. I show up tired. I may feel resentful. I am most likely not fully present, thinking about what I would rather be doing or when is the appropriate time to make my exit. I may be feeling judgmental. I may carry around baggage from agreeing to something out of obligation long after the situation takes place. By saying yes to something I am actually a no to, I am causing suffering for myself and those in my wake.
- YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT YOU BELIEVE – We are all walking around with our very own filters. What we perceive is dictated by these filters, and no matter what is actually in front of us, our view is unique to us. Two people can be looking at the very same person and see two completely different versions of that person. Through inner work I have discovered that my experience of people, situations, and life in general has drastically changed because I’ve changed my filters. It’s like having a new set of eyes.
- ENERGY RULES EVERYTHING and you are responsible for the energy you put out and allow into your space. Do more of what raises your energy positively, say no to the things that drain you and cause you to have negative energy. When you are vibrating at your highest frequency, that is when you are your most magnetic and potent. That’s when things seem to fall into place effortlessly. It’s when people love being in your company. Why would you choose to spend any amount of time at a lower frequency?
- SISTERHOOD MAKES ANYTHING POSSIBLE – We were never meant to go this life alone. Through generations and centuries of patriarchy and the deterioration of trust amongst women, we’ve learned to be independent. This culture of comparing, competitiveness, rejection, and judgement has led to isolation and unnecessary suffering. When we choose to break down the walls and be vulnerable with our fellow sisters, lift one another up, support each others dreams, intentionally hold space for one another to be authentic, and opt out of negative drama amongst ourselves, we can achieve EVERYTHING we believe in.
- YOU ARE NOT YOUR PAST – Until this year, I never knew just how much I believed that who I was in the past and the decisions I chose along the way made up who I am today. That is 100% false. Every experience holds within it a lesson, not a life sentence! But for most of us, many of those lessons turn into burdens or regrets or false beliefs about ourselves. I found that I was carrying around all kinds of baggage and making choices for myself with that clutter in the way. Luckily through inner work and with the help of my amazing coaches, I learned how to release it. I learned to let go and literally shed the old ways from my being. And now I make decisions from a grounded place of knowing who I actually am.
So that’s my list. I would love to know what landed for you. Please post in the comments below.