We all logically know that one cannot give from an empty cup. BUT women in today’s world are all wired to give, and give, and give and no one taught us how to fill that cup up. The world needs you to be at your fullest, most vibrant and unique amazing self. You have likely done some incredible stuff with your life thus far, all from an empty or half-filled cup. Imagine what you can do with an overflowing cup!
The more you fill your cup through self-care, self-nurturing, and self-parenting, the more you will be able to give to others and live out your true purpose. And, when you fill your cup with delights and excites, you will find exponential abundance from which to give and contribute to others and to the world. This is a radical and rebellious and liberating truth that you can choose for yourself. The sooner the better!!!! You have no idea how much more your life can be until you prioritize YOU first.
If you’re anything like me, you’re probably like, “okay, I understand, but how the heck do I do it? I don’t even know where to begin.” Great! Here are some easy steps to take right now to get you on your way.
- Get a journal or a notepad, and not just a boring or efficient one. Go out and spend good money on one that is absolutely gorgeous and delightful to your senses. You are investing in your own worth by taking this step. Bonus: grab some fun pens in your favorite colors and styles.
- Carve out at least twenty minutes, 5 times per week to write in your journal with zero distractions. Ask your partner, your children, your room-mates or anyone else in your household to honor your space and request that they leave you alone during this time. Create a ritual around your journal time. Light some delicious candles. Make yourself some yummy tea. Put on some soothing music. If you are able to, get yourself in nature. Take three to five deep breaths to ground yourself and get present. In this journal write out all of your wants and desires. Write out your frustrations and blockages. Write out your fears. Just brain dump everything and anything that comes to your mind.
- Set some boundaries in areas you find yourself often frustrated. Do you feel overwhelmed with social media at times? Unfollow people that are negative and give yourself permission to opt out of negative or needy conversations. Decide on a social media cut-off time at night, say 8pm. Also give yourself a social media-free morning.
- Do at least one or more of the following self-care acts 3 times per week: take a walk in nature, take a luxurious bath, read a chapter from a juicy book, get a massage, get a facial, treat yourself to a delightful meal out alone or with a girlfriend, partake in an activity that is life-giving to you such as surfing, dancing, yoga, hiking.
- Say yes to the things you absolutely are a yes to. Have the dessert. Buy the dress. Take the trip. Life is happening right now, and who knows if tomorrow will come. You deserve to say yes. You were not born to be a slave to obligation and worry.
Life is a dance. These steps laid out here are just examples to get you on your way. The key is to be open to the ebbs and flows of life and to know that there is no right or wrong way. Find what delights you and prioritize to have more of it in your life. If you do this, your life will begin to look and feel different.